Chlorine Dioxide for Wastewater Disposal
Although chlorine dioxide is often more expensive than alternatives for wastewater treatment, its selective reaction coupled with its environmentally benign end products often make it the low-cost alternative for wastewater treatment.
- Effective biocide at very low doses
- Selective oxidizer: oxidizes; does not chlorinate
- Oxidizes phenols without producing chlorophenols
- Does not produce chlorinated hydrocarbons (THMs, HAAs)
- Does not react with ammonia; disinfects at low dose in the presence of ammonia
- Controls odors
- Environmental end-product is chloride.